Morgaine's Musings

A place for me to share my musings, my crafts, and whatever else comes to mind.

Name:
Location: Hogsmeade, Middle Earth, United States

I am an aspiring fantasy writer. J. K. Rowling and J. R. R. Tolkien are my inspiration. I am a married mom of two. I am studying the Avalonian and Celtic mythologies.

06 October 2006

One more thing on Passive Writing

Ok, this is my last (maybe) comment on what most consider a problem.

Passive voice is not a bad thing. If done properly, can be very pleasant to read. If not, well you may as make it a picture book.

I am learning that passive voice is usually connected to writing past tense. Which I think is where my problem began. My story starts off with things that have already happened and are being retold leading up to current events and moving forward. So eventually there will be a shift in past to present tense. I don't know yet if that is allowed in the same story. But we'll see.

As long as you are descriptive in your writing, a passive voice shouldn't be a problem. Describe the emotions of your characters where needed, describe the settings if it's important to the scene. If it's a battle, describe the sounds and actions going on.

Passive voice doesn't have to be boring. It can be just as vivid and exciting as active voice if it's done right.

Happy Writing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home